Friday, October 7, 2011

Knock Knock

I was talking to a friend recently who lives in Seattle. And he said something so funny that I laughed out loud—for minutes—longer and harder than I had laughed in months.

Comedian Jerry Seinfeld was recently interviewed on CNN. He recounted the day when he was eight-years old and told a joke that made his friend spit up his milk and cookies. “I felt the milk, and I saw it all coming at me, and I said, ‘I would like to do this professionally.’”

Laughter. It reminds me of Solomon’s words recorded in Proverbs 17:22 – “A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.”

Now there is a lot more to a cheerful heart than just laughter. But PART of a cheerful heart is laughter.

And science has shown us that laughter is good medicine. I read this week about researchers at the University of Maryland who found that when twenty healthy volunteers smiled and laughed out loud while watching a comedic movie, their blood flow increased by twenty-two percent, about the same increase caused by aerobic exercise. But when volunteers watched tension-filled scenes from a drama, their blood flow decreased thirty-five percent.

The researchers went on to say that “a healthy lifestyle would include thirty minutes of exercise three times a week, and fifteen minutes of hearty laughter each day."

Joel Osteen, pastor of Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas, has written about this. He writes:

I know this one lady, she hadn't slept well in years and years. She was constantly taking tranquilizers. She had taken them so long it hardly even affected her anymore. She had tried everything, different diets, different doctors, different medicines. Nothing seemed to work. But this one doctor gave her a very unusual prescription. He said, "Every night before you go to bed, you need to watch something funny – a funny movie, a funny video, a funny drama – something that makes you laugh." She started doing that night after night. Month after month she got better and better. Today she is totally off her medications. She can sleep like a baby.

Much of the sickness in our world exists simply because we don't live with the joy that God created us to experience. When we live anxious and uptight lives, it leads to headaches, digestive problems, an inability to focus, short tempers, lack of energy, lack of good sleep and, I believe, fewer close friends (After all, who wants to hang out and get close to a short-tempered, frequently distracted, stressed out person?!).

Now, I’m not a medical doctor, but I believe many of these symptoms would go away if we would simply learn how to enjoy the God-given gift of laughter. So I am going to give you the following spiritual prescription this week: Every day find something funny that makes you laugh. Not an inside laugh. Not a muted chuckle. A take-your-time, life-is-good, laugh-out-loud, hooting, snorting, cackling laugh!

And when you find it, share it!

Knock, knock….